Friday, October 21, 2011

Felt Flower Ring



I love to use old scraps of felt or wool to make a ring.  It is the kind of ring I love to wear in the Fall when the leaves have changed color and the temperature dips.



I use scraps of felt or wool - approximately 1 inch long and 5 inches wide.  And you need a ring form (adjustable) for your base.  For this example I am showing three different ring bases that I found at my local beading store.  You can make any of these forms work.




Once you have your strip of felt (mine is from felted second hand scarf) you fold it in half lengthwise and press or pin it so that you can cut into the fold.  Make sure you don't cut all the way.  Basically you are making fringes about 1/4 inch wide stopping 1/8 of an inch away from the end.



Now make a running stitch along the length of your fabric through the both layers of fabric, opposite your fold.




Now cinch the fabric into a flower by tightening up the running stitch.  Then you sew the bottom of the flower together through all the layers so it will keep it's shape.



Continue to stitch the flower base onto your ring base.  Some bases will require just a few stitches to hold it there but others will require a row of stitches.  I like the simple one if I am giving it as a gift but if I can only find the fussier ring form I will use that for my own stash of rings.




I get together with my girlfriends for a lunch before the holidays and this would be a great gift to give each lady in her favorite color.  But these ones are in my favorite color... hmm....


10 comments:

  1. Those flower rings are very charming! I love the colors you chose for them! It definitely gives off a fall vibe! I'm a BYW student and I wanted to stop by and take a peek at your blog and I'm glad I did : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Are you putting them in your shop? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I hadn't thought about putting them in the shop but I did look around etsy and there doesn't seem to be any other felt rings exactly like that. So maybe I will ... thanks for the suggestion :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet. MIght need to make some for the two girls in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it so cute !!! My mom will love it !! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...